RE: FW: I-D Action:draft-narten-ipv6-statement-00.txt

2007-11-13 13:44:13
ULA,

No apparent consensus to do this. But is it needed to deploy
IPv6? A lot of people say absolutely not.

And if, during the next year or so of larger scale deployment
of IPv6, we discover that ULA-C is needed, then it can be made
available relatively quickly because it doesn't require upgrades
to any existing IPv6 devices or software.

Don't forget NAT-PT.

Deprecated by the IETF because its not a good long-term idea,
but it has already been deployed and if people can get some
short term use out of it, the IETF only deprecates, it doesn't
ban.

In terms of new work, the only thing I'd like to see is that
driven by a clear and compelling need from folk that are
seriously trying to deploy IPv6 and can identify a real gap
in available standards. I don't doubt there is some work to
be done here, but it needs to be driven by a real, concrete
need, not just be yet more "tinkeritus".

Spot on!

--Michael Dillon