Re: Hotel selection

2007-11-28 23:40:51
Fred,

I sent a private list of what worked, but I also wanted to point out out
something:

Which venues seemed to "work" from various folks' perspectives?

Vancouver might actually be on that list, after construction is finished
and hotel management is thrown into jail ;-) My recollection of the
previous Vancouver meeting was that it worked very well. YMMV of course.

That also applies more generally. The stuff that people complain about,
like construction noise in Chicago or smoke in Prague -- we have to talk
about what the likelihood of these things happening again on a repeat
visit is. I'm 100% certain that if went back to Prague to the same
hotel, they would be smoke free from day 1. And construction, presumably
it does not last forever. A hotel that has not had construction trouble
when we visited them might have construction next time. And one that did
have it might be finished next time.

So I'd focus more on the general layout of facilities (hotel, meeting
rooms, restaurants), airline connections and ease of entrance, local
IETF population potential, and so on. And frankly, I'm willing to be
inconvenienced a bit if the sponsor wants to hold it at a specific
location. Financing the meetings is important, too.

Jari