RE: IETF Eurasia

2007-11-29 14:29:32
michael(_dot_)dillon(_at_)bt(_dot_)com wrote:
||| I can tell you why we do - crosstalk. It can be incredibly useful
||| for people from the Security Area to look in on Applications, or for
||| Transport and RAI folks to understand the workings of the layers
||| beneath them and their users, for example.
||| That doesn't make for a "has to", but it seems like a good reason to
||| "choose to", from my perspective.
|| I agree with your reasoning. I should have asked, why do
|| *ALL* IETF meetings have to be monolithic and all-inclusive?
|| Smaller meetings held outside North America could be located
|| in smaller cheaper hotels, and would encourage wider
|| participation in the IETF. In fact, smaller meetings in
|| North America would achieve the same ends.
|| I'm not suggesting getting rid of the existing monolithic
|| meetings, but adding another type of meeting that is
|| smaller, cheaper to attend, and held in cities/countries
|| that are far from the USA but closer to people who should be
|| more involved in the IETF. For instance, Pune and Bangalore
|| India, Moscow and Ekaterinburg Russia, Dalian and Shanghai
|| China as well as places like Helsinki, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Seoul.
|| Note that smaller regional meetings still provide the
|| opportunities for some crosstalk, even if the variety of WG
|| choices to attend will be smaller. And it increases the
|| amount of crosstalk and cross-fertilization between people
|| who regularly work in the IETF and those who have not done
|| IETF work because they have not had the opportunity to see
|| it in action, face to face.
|| Note also that RIPE does something along these lines with
|| their regional meetings having more focus on education. I
|| expect that an IETF regional meeting would also have to have
|| more focus on education since a higher proportion of first-timers
|| would attend.

Wouldn't the regional meetings you are suggesting have a totally different
focus and be a different type of event all together compared to the main
meetings currently?

I would expect such regional meetings to have a focus on educating the local
public about the IETF and be about increasing participation but not
including any actual work on IETF content.

Believe such regional meetings would be a great idea as a means to
facilitate mentoring of future participants and encouraging new blood into
the organization.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch