Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

2007-12-18 10:19:52

Eric Rescorla wrote:
How dark is the IPv6 Internet?  Let's find out.
This "experiment", strikes me as both pointless and harmful.

First, as was stated several times during the YVR plenary,
"transition" is not a plausible objective in anything like the near
future.
Moreover, it seems like it's *precisely* when you're trying to bring
up a bunch of new networking stuff that you'd like to have your old,
reliable network in place
Second, the IETF network is a production network, not an experimental
testbed. People rely on it to get their work done, no less so at the
plenary. Breaking the network for 30-60 minutes during that period
imposes an unacceptable burden on those who are trying to work.
Finally, it is inappropriate to make a decision of this nature without
seeking the consensus of the IETF.
P.S. I don't really understand how you envision this working.
Are you thinking that people will be speaking during this period?
It's hard to imagine anything more disruptive to having
a plenary presentation or discussion than having everyone in the room busily focused on trying to unscrew their network.

+10.

d/

ps. For those who have watched Klensin and me beat people over the head, by noting the import that should be imparted by his and my agreeing on an issue, they should equally note that my concurrence with Eric on an issue of substance is vastly more rare.

pps. As an exercise, this could be interesting, for recruiting IETF community participation. A multi-organization, cross-net effort to make IPv6 useful will permit cataloguing what works, what doesn't, and what is entirely missing. The problems with the current plan are a) choice of venue, and b) lack of clear goals and planning. Something to consider might be an effort to have a productive social gathering. In other words, make the Tuesday night slot be for conducting this exercise. It would not take much to set a relatively festive tone, while still pursuing serious interoperability testing.
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking