Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

2007-12-18 12:06:26
On 12/18/07 at 1:32 PM -0500, John C Klensin wrote:

Reporters come to our meetings and attend plenaries.
There are members of the reporter community, or their editors,
who like only those stories that they can sensationalize.   For
them, this little "outage" results in one of two possible
headlines:

        (i) Not even IETF can get IPv6 to work seamlessly.
        (ii) IPv6 is so complicated that only the IETF experts,
        struggling mightily, can get it to work in a drop-in
        environment.

Simply reporting on this thread would lend itself to some interesting headlines, with minimal sensationalization:

"Proposal that the IETF use IPv6 exclusively for 60 minutes causes widespread panic"

I really don't have a strong opinion on the proposal itself; I can live without network connectivity for an hour (or I can cheat and use my EVDO card for an hour :-) ). But this entire conversation has been exceedingly informative:

a) As an Apps guy, this talk does not bode well for how seriously IPv6 has been taken in getting basic infrastructure issues solved such that applications can run.

b) As a user who runs my own little corner of the network, this doesn't make me sanguine about being able to get my basic services up and running under IPv6 anytime soon.

I'm somewhere between depressed and amused.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Incorporated