Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

2007-12-19 09:42:19

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 08:17:17AM -0800, Eric Rescorla wrote:

Absolutely they have, but I don't see why we should be put into a
situation where I need to have "survival tools". Again, what is
the value of this experiment?

Since I seem to be into analogies this morning, let me try another
one. When we were in YVR, there were water turbidity issues and people
were told not to drink the water out of the tap. The hotel supplied
bottled water. If we were to hear tomorrow that due to the renovations
the hotel water was to be unpotable, would your answer be that they
should fix that or that each IETFer should bring a survival tool
in the form of a water filter?

If water problems occur regularly, it seems prudent to bring a
waterfilter. If you are traveling and experience frequent problems with
connectivity and you believe that 60 minutes without it could lead to
fatalities it might be wise to bring backup gear.

However, this is really beside the point: there is not going to be any
break in connectivity, there will be plenty of ipv6 available.

And on another topic, I would hope that (members of) the IAB will
spend the same amount of time and energy as used on this discussion on
more important topics like to get ICANN to have ipv6 and DNSSEC root
service available before the next IETF meeting.

David Kessens
---