Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

2007-12-19 09:08:55

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 07:30:31AM -0800, ext Eric Rescorla wrote:
At Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:39:32 -0800, David Kessens wrote:
Basically, anybody who cannot survive without 60 minutes of network
connectivity during an IETF and who has not taken measures to provide
for backup connectivity during *any* outage cannot be taken serious.

Of course one can survive 60 minutes of network outage. I could
also survive a broken finger, but I'm still carefeful when I
use a hammer. Just because people could survive an outage is
no reason to inflict one on ourselves.

This issue will only develop into an outage if you bring the wrong
survival tools: I suggest you leave your hammer home and make sure
that you can use ipv6 only. There is no rocket science here. People
have done this before.

David Kessens
PS If there is a need for hammers in order to break fingers or to
   make ipv6 working, I suspect one can easily borrow one from the
   construction crews
---