Opportunity Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

2007-12-18 10:22:25

I wonder if we could hive off a thread to focus
on some constructive possibilities of this opportunity?
E.g., sites known to support IPv6 access?

The background work here will clearly have to address
issues such as useful DNS resolution (AAAA in the root
and/or server hacks), DHCPv6, etc, but assuming those
issues get resolved, can we construct some plan for
constructive use of the time?

From my perspective, the worst case here is that we have
a 30-60min network outage announced four months in advance.

The better case is that it's an opportunity for us
engineers to learn: by doing.  ("Doing" in the sense of
using IPv6 for those that haven't; and in the sense
of watching/helping others use it for those that have been
working with it for some time).

Leslie.

IETF Chair wrote:
Dear Colleagues:

How dark is the IPv6 Internet?  Let's find out.

During the IESG/IAOC Plenary at IETF 71, we are going to turn off IPv4
support on the IETF network for 30 to 60 minutes.  We will encourage the
audience to use the Internet and determine which services that they have
come to take for granted remain available.

If you are from a service provider, we encourage you to make your service
a bright spot on the IPv6 Internet.

To facilitate this experiment, a URL with instructions on how to get IPv6
running on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and so on.  Some information will
also be available for a 4-to-6 tunnel.

We will ask everyone to list things that work and things that do not. The
results will be part of the proceedings for the plenary session.

We will make more information about the structuring of this activity over
the next few weeks.  Please do whatever you can to make ready ...

Russ Housley
IETF Chair

"Reality:
     Yours to discover."