RE: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

2007-12-21 14:32:01
Actually, I think the stronger complaints are about the fact that a
meeting for another purpose will be disrupted by the sub set of folks who
think they are obligated to try and get there lap top working because
there is a network experiment overlayed on the meeting. Plenaries are
already unwieldy at best. With an undercurrent of an 'official' activity
there is the potential of nothing useful happening.

As the IT department, and everything else, associated with my business
there is no economic reason to be an early adopter. As a small business, I
have no weight to make anything happen except discomfort for myself. If
something like the proposal for setting up a working session in another
context which won't disrrupt the plenary is arranged, I will consider
bringing a second lap top which can be fiddled to whatever degree is
necessary to evaluate IPv6 connectivity issues.

IT departments are generally good at careful planning because they don't
get paid to disrrupt the corporate IT infrastructure. They aren't likely
to be motivated by IETF participant complaints about lack of IPv6 support
UNLESS they are already trying to provision IPv6 and see this as a good
test opportunity. My clients IT departments would simply provide EDGE/EVDO
cards for those folks who couldn't be offline for an hour.

The irony is that for IPV4 only folks, just disconnecting the network for
an hour will have the same effect ... except they wouldn't be disrrupting
the meeting trying to fix their laptops.

Dave Morris