RE: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

2007-12-18 16:01:57

ti, 2007-12-18 kello 12:39 -0800, ext Hallam-Baker, Phillip kirjoitti:
Run a split network:

IPv4 behind a honking great NAT
IPv6 with external routable IP address

Then attendees have a choice of challenges:

1) Make the applications you need all work from behind an IPv4 NAT
2) Get your platform to run IPv6

I don't see much real value in finding out that a bunch of Internet
experts can manage the second and I see a real downside to discovering
that many cannot.

The split network situation is what I expect to see appearing as the
IPv4 address pool shrinks. Actually thats the best case scenario, wost
case is that all you can find is just IPv4 NAT.

I think this is a great suggestion. Certainly the types of networks that
IETF meetings have, namely no NAT/FW are elsewhere (read, in the real
world) a rarity. If not to eat our own dogfood, at least making us feel
the same pain Internet users are feeling is a Good Thing.

Other ways to add to the incentives for running IPv6 at the plenary
would be to traffic shape the IPv4 link down to just barely usable
speed, or perhaps restrict the "bad attitude" channel only for
participants over IPv6, and so on.

Cheers,
Aki