Re: Deployment Cases

2007-12-31 17:42:31
I thought XMPP came from outside (www.jabber.org)?

I believe that's correct.

Sieve is another interesting case. It was originally developed "at" the IETF
but not "by" the IETF, in that there were various informal meetings where it
was designed but the initial documents were all individual submissionss. It was
only much later that a working group was put in place.

Sieve is also interesting in that have been quite a few active participants,
including document authors, who rarely if ever attend meetings (and I believe
some never have). The authorship of the various specifcations is also quite
diverse along several axes (e.g., geography, past IETF participation, corporate
backing). All in all, it's been a fun group to be involved in.

I'm not drawing any conclusions here, just pointing out potentially interesting
diversity in how things have been done.

                                Ned