Re: IETF 72 --> Dublin!

2008-02-06 10:17:57
Dave Crocker wrote:
Ray Pelletier wrote:
The venue will be the beautiful Citywest Hotel, "Ireland’s premier
Conference, Leisure & Golf Resort and one of Europe’s most popular
International Conference destinations. The four star Citywest Hotel is
only 20km from Dublin airport and 15km from Dublin City Centre."

Ray,

Every time the IETF has been held in an isolated venue, the experience has
been
problematic.

The descriptions of the venue make clear that, once again, the IETF is
meeting
in a ghetto.  Periodic bus service doesn't counteract that.

Can you discuss the priorities that led to choosing an isolated venue again?

This choice of venue does not alter my decision process for
attending IETF 72 at all.  Of course downtown locations are better,
but could this be worse than Danvers?  ;-)

However, there are obvious logistical concerns, especially at lunch time.
Is 90 minutes really enough time to bus into town, eat lunch, and get back?
Without lots of frequent shuttles, people will be forced to rent a car.
I would rather pay a little extra in the meeting fee for shuttles
than rent a car for the week.

d/

Andy