RE: I-D submission tool

2008-02-07 01:07:22

--On Thursday, 07 February, 2008 09:28 +0200
Pasi(_dot_)Eronen(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com wrote:

John C Klensin wrote:

For the second, it claims that the file isn't "plain text" and
won't post it or even provide a manual submission path.  The
file is output or xml2rfc, has proper CRLF line endings, and,
if it contains any non-ASCII characters or serious format
misbehavior, the online version of idnits can't find it, even
in very verbose mode. [rt.amsl.com #1799]

I also encountered this problem (rt.amsl.com #1730), and after
some debugging, discovered what the problem was: the
submission tool uses the "file" program to check whether the
file is plain text or not, and (apparently) the "file" program
on the new servers behaves slightly differently from the old
one.

In particular, if you have the string "(if approved)" on your
cover page, some versions of "file" (at least some Linux
distributions) will identify your draft as "Lisp/Scheme
program text" instead of  just ASCII :-)

<obscenity/>

So we get a choice of either

        * Not getting drafts posted  or

        * Violating the IESG's instructions about how I-Ds that
        are intended for standards track are laid out.

Gee.

Ray, while meeting site choices are ultimately judgment calls
and about tradeoffs, this is unambiguously preventing work from
getting done.   Today is Thursday and we've got a posting cutoff
a week from Monday.

Is it reasonable to assume that this has been assigned a
priority in, or close to, the "even if they have to work all
night" range?

And, by the way, is the ticket tracker database public?  If not,
why not?  And, if so, why do there not appear to be any links to
it  from either the Secretariat or Tools pages?

best,
    john