Re: [IAOC] RFC Editor costs - Proofreading (was Re: My view of the IAOC Meeting Selection Guidelines)

2008-02-11 12:05:20

On 11-Feb-2008, at 13:53, Fred Baker wrote:

I have occasionally found myself wondering whether a grammar checker
that could read our XML files (about 1/3 of our posted drafts have
XML source posted with them) and make suggestions would be of value.
In converting what is now RFC 1716 to RFC 1812, which was a HUGE
editing task, I used a brand new tool that is now a popular grammar
checker. It complained about "which" vs "that", which is neither here
nor there,

Well, not quite. "That" is for defining relative clauses, and "which"
for non-defining relative clauses. It's surprising that a piece of
software could tell between them, though.

Joe