Re: Eating our own dog food and using SIP for telephony... (was Re: My view of the IAOC Meeting Selection Guidelines)

2008-02-11 10:22:44
On 2008-2-11, at 18:55, ext Dan York wrote:
Can we move some of this conversation in the bill below onto the
Internet using systems where our costs essentially go to $0?
(Obviously we still need to communicate to non-wired folks across
the PSTN, such as event location facilities, etc.)

I do hope we can reduce costs, but the requirements that Marshall
described are valid:

   - need to be able to call in from the PSTN, worldwide
     (Many of us call in from hotels, airports, trains, etc.)

   - need to be able to have an operator dial out to someone
     (Calling in form a hotel sometimes just doesn't work.)

   - need to be able to get technical support during the call
     (Audio issues, lines getting dropped, calling out, etc.)

There's a baseline cost associated with all that 24/7 support. Having
some people call in over IP vs. the PSTN may save some money, but I
doubt that the savings would be dramatic.

If saving money is the issue and not dogfood eating, an alternative
proposal may be to rotate the calls among the corporate phone bridges
of willing I* folks. (This is what we're doing for various area and WG
telechats, anyhow.)

Lars