Re: Eating our own dog food and using SIP for telephony... (was Re: My view of the IAOC Meeting Selection Guidelines)

2008-02-17 15:32:23

There are free conference bridges that only use the PSTN - they make
money by reverse termination charges (for example /www.freeconference.com
). There are very expensive conference bridges that do cool tricks SS7
technology. There are free confernce bridges that use SIP/H.323/IAX/
Skype (but as far as I know, not Jingle). There are very expensinve
confernce bridges that use SIP - actually SIP seems to be the
preferred way to build a really expensive conference service these days.

The cost of a conference bridge has pretty close to nothing to do with
the signaling protocol. It has to do with if you can reach a human
operator and say "can you phone me back at room 252 in the following
hotel in Istanbul, I don't know the country code and have no idea if
the hotel phone number I have includes anything like an city code". Or
you can ask the operator to find the line with the bad echo and
disconnect it.

I'm sure that opinions vary widely on if we need this level of
conference bridge or not but today we have that and when you need it,
well it is nice to have. My personal opinion as a someone that has
been on these calls is that I could live with the following:

1) a bridge that worked every single time

2) web interface where one could initiate dial out to DID numbers

3) web interface where someone could mute participants that had put
the conference on music on hold

4) would be nice to have web interface that showed active speaker

This is blasphemy but I don't care if it has an VoIP interface or not,
but I absolutely have to be able to call it from my mobile phone.
Obviously I think it would be cool if I could use VoIP with wideband
audio.

Cullen

PS - as a WAG on the budget estimate below, I would guess the IESG
uses something like 150 hours of conferencing a year.