Re: [IAOC] RFC Editor costs - Proofreading (was Re: My view of theIAOC Meeting Selection Guidelines)

2008-02-11 12:17:41
In converting what is now RFC 1716 to RFC 1812, which was a HUGE
editing task, I used a brand new tool that is now a popular grammar
checker. It complained about "which" vs "that", which is neither here
nor there,

Well, not quite. "That" is for defining relative clauses, and "which"
for non-defining relative clauses.

An interesting fact is that the RFC Editor process is particularly hot on
"that"/"which". This may be a function of the use of copyeditor function
since these folk tend to care about English usage and for them (and for me)
it *is* much more than "neither here nor there". It could even have an
impact on meaning in an RFC.