Re: Eating our own dog food and using SIP for telephony... (was Re: My view of the IAOC Meeting Selection Guidelines)

2008-02-11 11:26:52
On 11 feb 2008, at 17:55, Dan York wrote:

P.S. How many folks out there have phones (hard or soft) from which
they can place calls to other random SIP endpoints?  (I do, but also
realize I'm in a minority.)

Unfortunately, SIP providers on average only seem interested in
providing "last mile over the internet" service, which gives you the
downsides of the IP network AND the downsides of the POTS network only
to save a few cents a minute.

It seems to be a well-kept secret that you don't actually need a SIP
server to receive (or make) calls over the internet: for a single user
under a (sub-) domain, a few DNS records are all that's required. I've
set things up so that I can be called using SIP at my email address,
but I rarely remember to run the client because nobody ever does...