Eating our own dog food and using SIP for telephony... (was Re: My view of the IAOC Meeting Selection Guidelines)

2008-02-11 09:57:12
I'm with Richard on this one. I have to think that among the many companies that make up the IETF there exists a couple with conferencing bridges that can support SIP endpoints! ;-) Can we move some of this conversation in the bill below onto the Internet using systems where our costs essentially go to $0? (Obviously we still need to communicate to non-wired folks across the PSTN, such as event location facilities, etc.)

Or is the issue really that, as Jonathan Christensen of Skype states, the original vision of SIP for rich communications remains "unrealistic"[1]? That as a practical matter we *can't* use SIP endpoints due to NAT traversal, security issues, federation/trust issues, etc?

My 2 cents,
Dan

P.S. How many folks out there have phones (hard or soft) from which they can place calls to other random SIP endpoints? (I do, but also realize I'm in a minority.)

[1] http://blogs.voxeo.com/speakingofstandards/2008/02/09/ecomm2008- jonathan-christensen-of-skype-and-the-unreal-vision-of-sip/