RE: Eating our own dog food and using SIP for telephony... (was Re:My view of the IAOC Meeting Selection Guidelines)

2008-02-12 12:08:37
It is not a cheap solution, but it is probably a cheaper one: why not copy the
W3C setup?

They have a compunetix box that is hooked up to IRC in wierd and somewhat
useful ways. So you can put yourself on the speaking queu and such. It is a
hack but a useful one.

The ideal would be for some group to take some of the open source VOIP software
and packaged it. Asterisk and such may or may not work but the number of users
is going to remain much lower than the potential until someone put in the work
necessary to make it turnkey.

Last time I visited the site I could not work out how the thing connected up to
the PSTN at all, much less want to spend a month or two trying to coax it into
action.

________________________________

From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org on behalf of Steven M. Bellovin
Sent: Mon 11/02/2008 1:10 PM
To: Lars Eggert
Cc: 'IETF Discussion'; Richard Shockey
Subject: Re: Eating our own dog food and using SIP for telephony... (was Re:My
view of the IAOC Meeting Selection Guidelines)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 19:21:48 +0200
Lars Eggert <lars(_dot_)eggert(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 2008-2-11, at 18:55, ext Dan York wrote:
Can we move some of this conversation in the bill below onto the
Internet using systems where our costs essentially go to $0?
(Obviously we still need to communicate to non-wired folks across
the PSTN, such as event location facilities, etc.)

I do hope we can reduce costs, but the requirements that Marshall
described are valid:

   - need to be able to call in from the PSTN, worldwide
     (Many of us call in from hotels, airports, trains, etc.)

   - need to be able to have an operator dial out to someone
     (Calling in form a hotel sometimes just doesn't work.)

   - need to be able to get technical support during the call
     (Audio issues, lines getting dropped, calling out, etc.)

There's a baseline cost associated with all that 24/7 support.
Having some people call in over IP vs. the PSTN may save some money,
but I doubt that the savings would be dramatic.

Precisely.  The issue is a *service*, not a technology.