Re: IPv6 NAT?

2008-02-17 15:18:00
On 15 feb 2008, at 11:23, Rémi Després wrote:

In the IPv6-only world, to be reached at the end of the transition
period, NATs should IMO be prohibited.

NATs will be needed during the (long) transition period, including
some NATs dealing with both IPv6 and IPv4.

I don't see how the transition from IPv4 to IPv6 requires NAT in IPv6.

One of the downsides of the NAT-PT mechanism is that it exposes hosts
that think they're doing IPv6 to (IPv4-) NAT. However, by making the
IPv6 hosts aware of the fact that they're talking to an IPv4 host,
they can apply their NAT handling code to IPv4 only (even if it's
translated IPv4) and be NAT-free when doing actual IPv6.

Apart from that, we have a long tradition of temporary things becoming
permanent. You can't unring a bell, cat's won't be herded back into
the bag or worms back in the can etc.