Re: PTR for IPv6 clients (Re: IPv6 NAT?)

2008-02-21 07:24:53
Iljitsch van Beijnum a écrit :
On 21 feb 2008, at 14:31, Rémi Després wrote:

- These addresses would, for example, have  FF00::/8 at the beginning
of their IID  (no currently specified IPv6 IID begins that way;
randomness on 58 bits is good enough).
(Sorry for the typo. Should be 56.)
You're right, there is currently no way other than a rather non-obvious
use of manual address configuration or DHCPv6 address pool configuration
to arrive at an interface identifier where the U/L bit is "global" and
the group bit is set, i.e., with bits 6 and 7 of the IID set to 1. This
means that there is an untapped range of 62 bits worth of IIDs that we
can still give a new purpose where the address type can be relatively
unambiguously determined from the IID. It would be a shame to squander
that resource without thinking about other uses first. (Although using
only one of the 64 possible ranges of 56 bits is probably reasonalbe.)

But shouldn't we be having this discussion in 6man?
Yes, I think so.