Re: Nomcom 2007-8 Chair's Report

2008-03-06 20:22:21
Ralph,

Thanks for your kind words.  Indeed the nomcom members have put in a lot
of hard work and as such deserve recognition.

For the most part, the credit for the conception of the report goes to
the circumstances that led to dispute resolution during the confirmation
process.  RFC 3777 says that the chair is to include the dispute report
when reporting on the activities of the nominating committee.  Normally
we report on the activities of the nomcom during the IESG plenary.  But,
when there is a dispute report, it appears that a supplementary means of
publishing the report is necessary.

That said, I agree with you that, keeping the confidentiality issues
firmly in mind, future nomcom chairs should publish such reports in an
attempt to make the nomcom process as open as possible.  I hope that the
openness helps increase community participation in the process and
encourage people to volunteer to be a voting member, provide feedback
and accept nominations more so than in the past.

best regards,
Lakshminath