RE: IETF Last Call on Walled Garden Standard for the Internet

2008-03-18 15:10:46
Pasi wrote:

Here I agree with you fully: this is an extremely bad idea.
Architecturally linking application security to the link
layer is just bad engineering, and hinders the ability of
link layers and applications evolve independently of each other.

Lets start with this: Any application?

The emsk-hierarchy document should not give higher layer
applications as an example use case; instead, it should
explain why this is a bad idea, and recommend that keys
derived from link layer authentication should be used solely
for "link-layerish" things (such as link layer handoffs;
Mobile IP is a borderline case here).

Mobile IP is an application.  So I guess you are okay with some applications
right?