Re: IETF Last Call on Walled Garden Standard for the Internet

2008-03-19 06:34:50
I think Vidya has a good point.

My opinion is that, bootstrapping protocols from long-term credentials
used for network access authentication is not such a bad idea, but we
just do not know yet the best way to realize it:

http://user.informatik.uni-goettingen.de/~mobiarch/2007/slides/mobiarch07-panel-YoshiroOhba.pdf

Yoshihiro Ohba

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:39:04PM -0700, Narayanan, Vidya wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Lakshminath Dondeti [mailto:ldondeti(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 7:58 PM
To: Harald Tveit Alvestrand
Cc: Narayanan, Vidya; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: IETF Last Call on Walled Garden Standard for the Internet

On 3/17/2008 7:23 PM, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
Narayanan, Vidya skrev:
All said and done, here is what it boils down to - any
application of
EAP keying material to other services (using the term here
to include
things ranging from handoffs to mobility to L7
applications) is only
feasible when those services are provided either by or through the
provider handling network access.  It is also only feasible when
those services are only running over EAP-capable interfaces (well,
without horrible abominations, anyway). So, if a network access
provider requiring EAP is rolling out applications, I don't see a
good reason why the application cannot use keys coming out
of the EMSK.

The counterargument is, of course, that such coupling will put the
network access provider into a privilleged position wrt providing
those applications on his networks; in particular, any competitor
wanting to deliver those same services (think Internet
telephony/Skype
or
video-on-demand/YouTube) will have to roll out his own
authentication/authorization infrastrucure, and get users
to adopt it
in addition to the one they already have - OR to beg
permission from
the network owner to leverage his infrastructure.

This violates the principle of "network neutrality"; you
could easily
argue that this is a battle that should be fought in the courts of
public opinion and the US legislature, not in the standards
organizations, but traditionally, the IETF's participants has had
strong opinions on this matter.

Fair enough.  Although, we already facilitate this with EAP
over IKEv2.
  The new stuff is just optimization, as Jari noted.  The
contention, at least between him and me is whether the
optimization is needed or not.

Jari also noted that such providers should be able to reuse the same
credentials in EAP and the application; just that the key hierarchies
should not have any inter-dependencies.  This essentially gives the same
level of control to the provider with respect to the applications as
Harald notes, just doesn't allow the optimizations to happen.  This
seems like a false level of separation that we think we may achieve by
maintaining an imaginary protocol boundary at the IETF.

Recognizing that credential provisioning is an issue is a good step that
in my mind by itself warrants this EMSK-based key hierarchy for
meaningful usages.  In fact, I'd argue that credential reuse by multiple
protocols is a bad idea - we would be trading off cryptographically
coordinated key derivations for a mechanism that has no control over
disparate usages of the credentials with different algorithms and so on.

In fact, credential provisioning issues (and avoiding credential reuse)
is a far more compelling reason to allow the EAP-based keying hierarchy
for layers above than the optimizations itself.  Of course, the
optimizations are much needed in some cases, but, that is not the sole
reason.

- Vidya

Our role at the IETF should be in defining the
applicability of using
such key material such that readers understand that this does not
work when the application provider is independent of the network
access provider or when the application runs over
interfaces that do
not do EAP.  And, I believe our role ends there.

I believe I agree with this statement, mostly.
Jari wrote "Tighten up the language in the hokey spec to not allow
application keying, and we're done" and I don't believe we
are.  We
can do that and just sit back and watch non-compliant key
hierarchies
propping up everywhere (and worry about interoperating with those
when we write our next spec) or  do the responsible thing, which
would be to clearly define the applicability, along with
providing an
interoperable means of defining the key hierarchy for those usages
that want to/can use it.
If usages exist that we find reasonable at all (that is, if
we define
ANY extensible hierarchy), I think experience shows that we'll have
trouble achieving control by restricting the registration
procedure -
the early years of MIME is the poster child for that.

While I have my doubts as to how much effect we have on the
world by
explaining why a particular thing is
stupid/wrong/offensive/immoral, I
have even more doubts about the effect of restricting
registration as
a controlling tool.

The anecdote I'm reminded of is one from the Norwegian army, just
before the German invasion of 1940....

Senior Officer: "And if the country is invaded, Lieutenant,
how would
you prevent the enemy from using the railroad system to
move troops?"
Junior Officer: "Burn all the tickets, SIR!"

Funny! :)  Applicability statements and strong applicability
statements come to mind!

regards,
Lakshminath

                     Harald