Re: EMSK key hierarchy and the DSRK

2008-03-19 09:54:42
The DSRK can be scoped just as the EMSK can be scoped.

regards,
Lakshminath

On 3/19/2008 9:45 AM, Dan Harkins wrote:
  Hello,

  My apologies for being obtuse. This Mother of All Root Keys I've been
describing is what the EMSK Key Hierarchy calls the DSRK.

  The "HOKEY key" that the ERP/ERX draft uses can be derived in one of
two ways:

    EMSK

    USRK    <-- the "HOKEY key", aka rRK

or like this:

    EMSK

    DSRK    <--- the MOARK

   DSUSRK   <-- the "HOKEY key", aka rRK

This latter derivation is the one that will be used in practice, I believe.

  This DSRK is not properly defined and cannot be properly scoped. It
really has nothing to do with "Handover Keying" which is what HOKEY is
supposed to be working on. I believe the DSRK is problematic and the
ability to derive a DSRK should be removed from the ESMK key hierarchy
draft and the corresponding change be made to the ERP/ERX draft to remove
reference to using a DSRK to derive HOKEY keys.

  This change would also simplify the key hierarchy and remove a
"you can do it this way, or you can do it that way" option which
experience has shown is a really bad idea.

  regards,

  Dan.