Re: Nomcom process realities of "confidentiality"

2008-03-19 15:18:28
On 3/19/2008 11:12 AM, Eric Gray wrote:
Dave,

      I think I disagree with you on several of the details
in your discussion without necessarily disagreeing with
where you are going with it.

      First of all, I think that the realistic view of the
possibility of something leaking is enough to ensure that
people do not make things up when giving feedback.  The fact
that what a person says may eventually get back to the one
they said it about tends to make people stick to facts.

Eric,

May I assume you use the word "leaking" above in the context of (d) and
(e) below and other similar contexts?  Next, I wouldn't quite say people
"make things up;" each person communicates their perceptions and the
nomcoms may then investigate how pervasive is the said feeling in the
community, if they don't already know from the feedback already
collected, balance all other view points and figure out what is in the
best interests of the community.  It is a subjective process and that's
why we use humans to do it.

thanks,
Lakshminath

      That is useful.

      But the possibility needs to be very small.  However
important people may feel it is to verify what they hear,
it is not a good idea to turn everything you hear into some
sort of juicy gossip to be handed around like used needles.

      That is not only not useful, it leads to potentially
seriously disruptive emotional reactions to what may very
well have been meant as consturctive criticism.

      In addition, I think that someone who cannot deal with
the possibility that they may hear things that they have to
either keep entirely to themselves, or exercise a very high
degree of discretion about, should be straight-forward about
that at some point before they are exposed to that kind of
information.  If that means they have to step down from a
liaison role, or some other role in the NomCom process, then
that is what they need to do.

      However, I think this is buried in your comments under
what I think you're identifying as the "human factor" - and
it is true that the degree of discretion that applies is a
very hard fence to walk.  Never-the-less, some very simple
guide-lines do exist.  For example, consider the following:

      In a private NomCom discussion Sigfreed tells Signund
that she heard that the candidate Borg has a reputation for
being excessively stubborn.  Signund happens to know Borg
very well and they have been friends for many years.  The
possible choices for Signund range across (at least) the
following possibilities -

a) ignore the comment because it is clearly already second
   hand information,
b) explore the comment further with Sigfreed to see if there
   is anything she knows from first hand,
c) accept the comment as one data point but otherwise keep
   it to themselves,
d) check with a number of other people to see if they have
   gotten a similar impression, but without referring to
   any specific source(s),
e) check with Borg to see if there is any reason why anyone
   might have gotten the impression that Borg is stubborn
   (again being careful not to offer names),
f) ask a few people where Sigfreed might have gotten such an
   impression about Borg,
g) tell Borg that Sigfreed is saying that Borg is a stubborn
   person.

      Assuming that we all have pretty much the same ideas
about what "confidentiality" means, I think it is fairly
obvious that most people would agree that either a), b) or
c) would be correct behaviors, and that d) and (possibly)
e) might be okay under some circumstances but f) and g) are
definitely out of line.  I suspect that d) and e) are in the
area in which leaking of confidential information is most
likely to occur.  Sure, it is possible that someone has
decided to ignore a more conventional meaning of the word
confidential to suit a personal agenda.  Or it is possible
that they are operating with a different understanding of
what most people mean by "confidential."  But - for the
most part - indiscretion in this context is a result of
simply sharing more information than intended while trying
to verify something we need to be certain about.

      On the whole, I think most people understand that is
something that can happen.  I also think that what people
are really concerned about is that confidentiality is not
being observed as a convention, and as promised during the
process.

      That must remain a legitimate concern.

      And the reason why that is the case is that it is
necessary in getting honest and unambiguous feedback about
people that the people being asked _believe_ that they're
comments will be kep confidential.

--
Eric Gray
Principal Engineer