Re: Scheduling unpleasantness

2008-03-24 17:19:34

On 3/24/08, Brian Dickson <briand(_at_)ca(_dot_)afilias(_dot_)info> wrote:
Eric Gray wrote:

 >       This sort of scheduling problem is very well known
 > to be NP hard and trying to meet the scheduling conflict
 > matrix for 1500 to 2500 people would make the "N" large.

Universities have been doing this successfully for class scheduling for
 many years with great success. I would not necessarily classify it as
"hard".

Define "successfully".

Having been locked out of more than one course because of scheduling
conflicts, I would suggest that "successfully" to the university may
not be perceived as "successfully" to the students.

        I agree.  I had to get special dispensation to miss a lecture
        each week for one course.  I also had to arrange for someone
        to take notes for me for that lecture.  Definitely sub-optimal.

Which, come to think of it, is the same position IETF finds itself in:
replace "university" with "IETF" and "students" with "attendees".

--
Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin
Principal Engineer