RE: Appeal against IESG blocking DISCUSS on draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

2008-06-19 10:51:41
Maybe I and a few others thought a BCP was worth something.  Apparently not.
Unlike the authors of these documents I am not privy to the reasoning behind
them  I am just privy to the document itself.  Neither are countless other
people who observe IETF BCP's. Perhaps I should not bother recommending BCP
47 (full of MAY's and SHOULD's) anymore or indeed contributing to the IETF
LTRU process.  It obviously is not worth the digital paper it is printed on.

A sad day for IETF in my book.

My last word.

Best regards

Debbie

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Dave Cridland
Sent: 18 June 2008 12:28
To: debbie(_at_)ictmarketing(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk
Cc: 'John C Klensin'; 'Pete Resnick'; iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: Appeal against IESG blocking DISCUSS on
draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

On Wed Jun 18 12:02:44 2008, Debbie Garside wrote:
Dave wrote:

Even on Wednesdays.

Or for purple documents... ;-)

I see your point.  I do think, assuming it is not already
documented
and further assuming this is the whole point of the appeal,
that the
IESG could create a general policy wrt BCP's.

Well, that is indeed a possibility, but RFC 2606 - the BCP
involved in this specific case - does not state anywhere that
people MUST use the domains it reserves in examples.

Therefore, to cover this particular case, such a blanket
policy would have to be stated such that even vague
recommendations in BCPs MUST be followed religiously, even if
the document's author not only doesn't think that was the
purpose of the document, but clearly states that wasn't the
reason it's a BCP anyway.

Maybe the policy could also state a Doctrine Of IESG
Infallibility, and just bypass the entire issue.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)dave(_dot_)cridland(_dot_)net