RE: Appeal against IESG blocking DISCUSS on draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

2008-06-18 13:22:21
On Wed Jun 18 12:02:44 2008, Debbie Garside wrote:
Dave wrote:

Even on Wednesdays.

Or for purple documents... ;-)

I see your point.  I do think, assuming it is not already
documented and
further assuming this is the whole point of the appeal, that the
IESG could
create a general policy wrt BCP's.

Well, that is indeed a possibility, but RFC 2606 - the BCP involved
in this specific case - does not state anywhere that people MUST use
the domains it reserves in examples.

Therefore, to cover this particular case, such a blanket policy would
have to be stated such that even vague recommendations in BCPs MUST
be followed religiously, even if the document's author not only
doesn't think that was the purpose of the document, but clearly
states that wasn't the reason it's a BCP anyway.

Maybe the policy could also state a Doctrine Of IESG Infallibility,
and just bypass the entire issue.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)dave(_dot_)cridland(_dot_)net