RE: Appeal against IESG blocking DISCUSS on draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

2008-06-19 12:23:01
On 6/19/08 at 7:54 PM +0100, Debbie Garside wrote:

I am more for going with standards rather than finding ways around them with MAYs and SHOULDs. If there is a recommendation within a standard IMHO it should be followed.
[...]
I don't see what the problem is with following BCP's

Please identify ANYWHERE in this BCP (RFC 2606) that says that anybody MUST, SHOULD, ought to, might want to think about, or otherwise really really needs to, use these domain names.

Anywhere. Please quote text.

Your repeated statements that you think there is something in that BCP that "should be followed" indicate that you have not read the BCP.

The BCP registers names so that they can be used if one wants to. It does not say that they must be used in RFCs. It does not even recommend their use. It only registers the names.

Perhaps the ISO is different and they don't actually say what they mean when they write a document. That has not been my experience reading ISO documents, but perhaps it's because I work in the IETF.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102