Re: Services and top-level DNS names (was: Re: Update of RFC 2606

2008-07-05 14:35:36
On 2008-07-06 01:00, John Levine wrote:

    How many label our hosts with two letter domain names?

Beats me, but since there are several hundred TLDs, it seems to me that
the chances are pretty low that everyone in the world has managed to
avoid using them as host names.

Back in the early days, when Czechoslovakia existed, and cs. was
active, I recall cs.ucl.ac.uk causing great difficulty. Of course, the
difficulty was due to email systems doing pragmatic things about
JANET formats, before MX records were in use. We also had great
difficulty, I remember, with uk.oracle.com.

Look, we all know there's an unlimited number of ways one can screw up
mail and web configuration.

Right, so let's make that even *more* likely...

   Brian