Re: Services and top-level DNS names (was: Re: Update of RFC 2606

2008-07-07 06:04:32

    Historical note...

To confirm this:

    The introduction of "cs" caused more general problems, unrelated
    to name ordering, because there were systems all over the
    network in computer science departments with FQDNs like
    host.cs.someuniversity.edu.  It was common in many of those
    institutions to set up university-wide search rules so that a
    reference to host.cs would do the right thing, just like
    host.physics, host.philosophy, and so on.  When "CS" was
    introduced as a TLD, "host.cs" suddenly became ambiguous (or at
    least dependent on exactly how the search rules were set up) as
    to whether it represented "host.cs." or
    "host.cs.someuniversity.edu.".

Being at one of the major connections to JANET (mcvax was connected to
Canterbury, which was the first gateway trying compensate for the JANET
order (uk.ac.foo) I vividly remember the day that loads of traffic was
forwarded to cs.vu.nl .

    And, that, if my memory is correct, was the beginning of our
    understanding that search rules needed to be used with great
    care, if at all, and that incomplete domain names should not be
    sent on the wire as part of protocols.

Since that day I stopped using a search path for dns I could avoid it.

        jaap