Re: Services and top-level DNS names (was: Re: Update of RFC 2606

2008-07-04 22:01:16

No. 4 says "Strings must not cause any technical instability." which
sounds exactly within IETF scope covers the gist of the technical
aspects of the ietf list discussion.

    We need "cannot be used in a manner that causes technical
    instablitity.  Known causes include, but are not limited
    to, adding A, AAAA and MX records at the zone apex."

As someone else pointed out, there are currently about two dozen TLDs with
A or MX records at the apex.  Some of them have been like that for many
years, and as best I can tell, the Internet has not thereby collapsed.

        How many label our hosts with two letter domain names?

        Do you have any evidence that they have not caused problems?
        I suspect that other sites that used the names just put up
        with the pain of renamimg hosts along with the resultant
        risk of email being misdirected.

I think we all understand that the use of addresses like http://tld/ and
foo(_at_)tld may be flaky due to bugs in client software, but if someone
wants
to spend $100 grand on a TLD and install a flaky A or MX, why is that an
urgent problem the IETF needs to solve rather than a private issue between
the TLD and its registrants?

        This sentence indicates that you fail to understand all of the
        issues involved.

Also keep in mind that most of those apex records are in ccTLDs over which
ICANN and the IETF have no authority, so no matter what the we were to
say, they're not going away.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies
",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, ex-Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org