Re: Services and top-level DNS names (was: Re: Update of RFC 2606

2008-07-06 21:38:13

    Again you are asserting that no one has ever been effected.

No, I'm saying that you can only cry wolf so many times.

The disaster you are predicting has in fact been in progress for over
a decade, and the mountains of casualties are nowhere to be found.

        Just because there are no newspaper articles being published
        doesn't mean that there are not problems.  There will have
        been lots of little incidents over the years.  Each one
        will have been cleaned up quietly.

        e.g.
            A .forward pointing to "user(_at_)host" where host has gone
        away but it also matches a tld with a A record.  In most
        cases the administator will just remove the .forward and
        not bother complaining that the mail was being mis-directed
        for a while.

Someone claiming to be you said:

       I suspect that other sites that used the names just put up
       with the pain of renamimg hosts along with the resultant
       risk of email being misdirected.

There's at least one well known mail host whose name has matched a TLD
with an MX for ten years now.  Did they rename?  Are they losing floods of
mail to the Caribbean?  Uh, well, if they are, they're not telling anyone.
How do we explain this conspiracy of silence?

        Well if they wanted to email user(_at_)ai then yes.  It's a case
        of something has got to give.

Finally, as I presume you're aware, some browsers including Firefox retry
with an appended .com if the address you type doesn't resolve, so if you
type something like www.pets into your browser, it will find www.pets.com.
This means that if ICANN creates new TLDs that match any of the 70 million
existing .com domains, users of popular current software will suddenly
find that they're not seeing the sites they used to see.  (We're not
talking about records at the apex of a TLD here, it's www.blah.com vs.
www.blah.)  Should all of the existing .com domain names be reserved as
TLDs?  If not, why not?  It's the same problem, only it affects a lot more
people.

        Firefox's defaults are just plain wrong.  This has been
        pointed out multiple times by multiple people.  It's also
        easily addressable by the end user.

        Set browser.fixup.alternate.enabled to false in about:config.

        Two wrongs don't make a right.  They just make two things
        that need to be fixed.

        Mark

R's,
John

PS to everyone else: I'll stop beating this dead horse now.
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org