Re: Services and top-level DNS names (was: Re: Update of RFC 2606

2008-07-06 19:26:29

    The problem is that user(_at_)ai is not globally unique.

    MIT users will have problems talk to user(_at_)ai when "ai" means
    Anguilla.  The is a current security issue.

    If / when MIT stop using ai.mit.edu, "user(_at_)ai" will not longer
    mean user(_at_)ai(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu(_dot_)  This will mean that any
configuration file
    that has "user(_at_)ai" will now, suddenly, get a different meaning.
    This is a latent security issue.

If by "latent" you mean "so obscure that in the ten years that there's
been A and MX records at TLDs nobody's been affected" I guess I agree.

        Again you are asserting that no one has ever been effected.

        By latent, I mean it will cause problems in the future when the
        conditions described are met.

        Not every action has a immediate consequence.  Some consequences
        can happen years after the initial action was taken.

        The consequences here are foreseeable but not necessarially
        obvious to everyone affected.

        Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org