Re: Gen-ART Review of draft-ietf-forces-mib-07

2008-09-03 11:05:12
Hi, Robert,

Thanks for the quick response on all the comments - to be explicit, version 8
addresses all my comments, except for one question (below).

It actually could be OK to retain the OtherMsg name and definition, if there is
a reason to do so (one reason might be "deployed systems use this name and
definition"). What I was saying was that it violates the Principle of Least
Astonishment - you could also clearly define "3" as "2", but implementers would
still think "3" was "3" when scanning quickly.

:-)

This is an IETF Last Call review comment, so other reviewers can tell you
"Spencer is worried about nothing", and Gen-ART comments are never blocking
unless an AD includes them in a DISCUSS.

I'll trust that you guys will do the right thing, which might or might not be
to make a change.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Spencer
  >    o  Number of other ForCES messages sent from the CE
  >       (forcesAssociationOtherMsgSent) and received by the CE
  >       (forcesAssociationOtherMsgReceived) since the association entered
  >       the UP state.  Only messages other than Heartbeat, Association
  >       Setup, Association Setup Response, and Association Teardown are
  >       counted.
  >
  > Spencer (technical): I think I know what you're saying here, but you're not
  > counting "other" messages (because you exclude some of the "other"
messages.
  > The point is that you didn't get into the table with Association
  > Setup/Association Setup Response, and you leave the table immediately after
  > Association Teardown, so you don't have to count these messages, isn't it?
  > :-(

  I agree, but I'd rather keep this explicit. As for "OtherMsg" vs
"OperationalMsg": I'd rather keep it as is, given that we define what are these
"other" messages.