Re: not the Gen-ART Review of draft-ietf-forces-mib-07

2008-09-03 14:02:28
----- Original Message -----
From: "Olaf Kolkman" <olaf(_at_)NLnetLabs(_dot_)nl>
To: "John C Klensin" <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 11:55 AM
Subject: Re: Gen-ART Review of draft-ietf-forces-mib-07

I can imagine that the posting of an I-D may cause Pavlovian reactions
but maybe there are means by which one can prevent folk to mistake the
posting of such I-D as another request for review.

I have certainly had that Pavlovian reaction, especially when the new I-D has
appeared after a gap of weeks or months and I have forgotten what state the I-D
is in.  The solution lies in the hands of the document shepherd, to drop a note
to the mailing list explaining what the new I-D is for.  Some are good at it,
getting the e-mail out before the I-D announcement hits the list; others are
not.

More sophisticatedly, the announcement could flag that this I-D has now passed
from the WG to the AD, IESG etc. and that suggested enhancements are no longer
welcome.

Tom Petch

--Olaf