Re: Last Call: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl (DNS Blacklists and Whitelists)

2008-11-08 20:24:35
I've got two separate and unrelated incidents in the last 10 days in
which RBL lists have decided to block some (but not all) of
Comcast's outbound mail servers. ...

I remain baffled by this line of argument.

If anecdotes about DNSBLs not run the way you like disqualify even
describing the technology in a standards track document, how could you
in good concience allow the publication of RFC 5321, which describes
the technology used to send several billion phishes, 419 scams, and
penis pill ads every day?  The vast majority of SMTP usage, over 95%
of all transactions, is for mail that is unwanted, fraudulent, and
probably illegal.  I dare say that considerably less than 95% (heck,
less than 1%) of DNSBL lookups produce a problematic result.

R's,
John