Re: uncooperative DNSBLs, was several messages

2008-11-13 12:55:43

--On Thursday, 13 November, 2008 08:18 -0800 Dave CROCKER
<dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

I think a lot of us had a pretty good idea which DNSBL is
usually the one in question when people are complaining....

The difficulty is that the current line of argument is that
because some DNSBLs are operated badly, DNSBLs are bad.

For any interesting capability, there will always be some bad
actors using it. So the argument that, therefore, the
capability is unworthy of standardization is problematic.

No, Dave, the argument is that there is no established standard
(sic) of practice that differentiates between badly-operated
DNSBLs and well-operated ones and between appropriate and
inappropriate applications of those lists.  Although perhaps I'm
wrong, I assume that no one would make a serious claim that the
use or non-use of particular data formats (i.e., the document in
question) would be very significant in making that
determination.

If there were a BCP on the table that would permit us to talk
about DNSRBLs that conform and those that don't, rather than
about subjective opinions of "behaving badly", we would, IMO, be
having a rather different discussion.

If we were talking about putting together a WG here, I believe
that the community would insist on such a BCP as its first
output.  That would give the community an opportunity to have a
serious and focused discussion about criteria for good behavior.
Perhaps this topic is so emotional that such a discussion would
be impossible, but at least there would be hope.

However, if I can summarize the one thing that people with a
_very_ broad range of opinions that conclude in "don't
standardize this document now" seem to have in common, it is an
objection to standardization of any of this without clear and
documented agreements about acceptable practices and careful
documentation about the problems and risks that can occur when
those practices are not followed (or even if they are).

IMO, that generic objection is well within IETF norms.  YMMD, of
course.

   john