Re: Detecting and disabling bad DNSBLs

2008-11-15 04:00:33
The standard is to query the DNSBL's Loopback address, 127.0.0.2. If the Loopback address does not respond the DNSBL is either shutting down or it's defunct. You query the Loopback address like this (using our SBL as an example) and should get this answer:

;; QUERY:
;2.0.0.127.sbl.spamhaus.org.

;; ANSWER:
2.0.0.127.sbl.spamhaus.org. 900  IN A   127.0.0.2
2.0.0.127.sbl.spamhaus.org. 1800 IN TXT
     "http://www.spamhaus.org/SBL/sbl.lasso?query=SBL233";

(if you get no answer to a 2.0.0.127.dnsbl query, the no answer means "it's dead Jim" or possibly "it's firewalling you Jim")

Chris Lewis's excellent DNSBL BCP document also covers how to shut a DNSBL down properly.

Regards,

  Steve Linford
  The Spamhaus Project
  http://www.spamhaus.org