Re: several messages

2008-11-15 08:04:17
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Chris Lewis wrote:
DNSBL system is organized to send NDNs rather than rejecting
messages or because there are relays (including SMTP-handling
firewalls) involved -- things are basically hopeless because the
number of mailing list servers that are able to accept NDN
messages, correlate them with particular addresses on particular
mailing lists, and take action on that basis is, well, small.

I don't agree.  In fact, most ESPs, Yahoo, and many common list
implementations (eg: mailman and I believe LISTSERV) have and use this
capability now.  With ESPs, for list pruning.  At times, I've become
quite familiar with Yahoo's "your subscription bounced too often, I've
unsubscribed you, here's how to resubscribe, and <here> is your missed
messages".  Annoying, but no great harm.  Hasn't caused me to change how
the filters that caused those bounces work.

FWIW, on one mailman mailing-list, I've received the following a couple of times; I've not received it on others, which may mean that those lists don't enable it, or that the mails on those lists have not triggered rejections. I suspect the former.

"Your membership in the mailing list FOO has been disabled due
to excessive bounces The last bounce received from you was dated
24-Jul-2008.  You will not get any more messages from this list until
you re-enable your membership.  You will receive 3 more reminders like
this before your membership in the list is deleted.
... [what follows is the URL to re-enable membership immediately] "

I have found this message incredibly helpful, and I'd like to see a wider application of similar behaviour.