Re: uncooperative DNSBLs, was several messages

2008-11-13 18:16:28
Dave CROCKER wrote:

The difficulty is that the current line of argument is that because some
DNSBLs are operated badly, DNSBLs are bad.

I have a strong suspicion that poor design of the DNSBL protocol (and/or
its interface to SMTP and NDNs) encourages more badness than is needed.

For instance, what would happen if mail servers provided feedback to
both senders (on a per message basis in the form of NDNs) and recipients
(say, via a web page that listed messages blocked due to DNSBLs)...in
both cases describing which DNSBL blocked the message and what the
blocking criteria were?

What if recipients could disable blocking on a per-DNSBL basis?

Assuming that we're going to have reputation services, I'm looking for
ways to make them more accountable/responsible.

Keith