Re: Friday experiment

2008-11-28 15:09:56
John C Klensin wrote:
Hiroshima is going to be at least as "interesting": while the
flights from Narita to the US seem to leave late afternoon, one
has to transit from Hiroshima to Narita, either by air (the only
departure I can find is at 0755) or train, again, killing most
of the day.  Flights from Narita to Amsterdam, Frankfurt, and
London (my small, not-random, sample) leave mid-day, with the
same connection issues, i.e., "meet Friday" means "depart
Saturday and arrive Saturday afternoon at best".

While I won't observe to much about the schedule in relation to this I
will say:

As a purely practical matter the Hikari Shinkansen on the Sanyo line
goes from Hiroshima to Osaka in about 90 minutes if I recall, Tokyo if
you want to go that far, is around 2.5 hours from Osaka with NRT being
about 40 minutes from Tokyo stations... however getting to Tokyo is not
the fastest way to leave or enter to country headed to hiroshima.

The Kansai airport KIX is directly accessible from the US as well as
well as many well connected  and some not so well connected European
cities and it's about 20-30 minutes from shin-Osaka.

Given that flights are frequently late but the highspeed rail system
almost never is. I wouldn't bother prepurchasing tickets or padding
interaries, rather I'd just show up and purchase tickets on the fastest
train going in the correct direction. hiroshima shin-osaka non-reserved
is around 4000 yen. by the time you link together the three or so mass
transit options required to get there it should be order of $60-70 each
way unless the dollar drops even further.