Re: [Fwd: Last Call: draft-hoffman-dac-vbr (Vouch By Reference) to Proposed Standard]

2009-02-04 09:56:40

SM wrote:
At 11:40 01-02-2009, Dave CROCKER wrote:
1. Macroeconomic effect from email filtering: Monopolistic pressures

There wasn't any comments on the Last-Call about the implications to individual or small companies, particularly ones in small emerging market countries. It's refreshing to see such a question being brought up during an IESG evaluation.

Good that we care?  Sure.  Good that we base formal approval on it?  Maybe not.

Macroeconomic analysis -- especially predictions about the directions an economic process will develop towards -- is a poorly understood topic of expertise, even among experts... as we are unfortunately seeing demonstrated in the global economy.

What is the IETF track record that should give us any faith in this community's ability to make such predictions. Absent that track record, we are creating the risk that we will refuse technologies erroneously.

The IETF defines technologies, not markets.

d/

---

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking