Re: [Fwd: Last Call: draft-hoffman-dac-vbr (Vouch By Reference) to Proposed Standard]

2009-02-06 13:25:09
At 02:47 06-02-2009, John Levine wrote:
I'm not Dave, but I cannot imagine where you got the idea that he
expects the "community providing professional email operation" to
deploy 100% of anything.

I'll quote the last part of the message from Dave ( http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg55204.html ) about who will implement VBR and who will deploy it:

"Anyone operating an outbound or inbound email border MTA is typically a candidate for using one or more assessment mechanisms. As noted above, this is already 100% of the professional email operations market. All of that market currently relies on IP Addresses for identification, but industry movement towards using domain names is progressing nicely. Everyone who uses domain names for identification can be expected to need a mechanism like VBR.

Consequently, implementation is expected to be by all major developers of email sending and receiving software. It is equally expected that it will be deployed by 100% of the community providing professional email operations, both on the sending and the receiving sides."

The idea that big mail systems will form a cartel and lock out people
who won't pay is just silly to anyone who remembers the history of
e-mail.  There used to be lots of closed commercial email systems,
including AOL, Compuserve, and MCI Mail where Dave worked.  Without
exception, they all were swept away by Internet mail which was cheap,
universal, and unmetered, even though in some ways it was technically
inferior to those systems.  Some of them, like AOL, morphed into ISPs,
others like MCI Mail just died.

I am not aware of any consortium of independent organizations providing mail services formed to limit competition or to lock out people who won't pay. I did not equate the "community providing professional email operation" with big mail systems or infer that they will form a cartel.

Is there any possibility that you are confusing threats that are easy
to imagine with threats that are likely?  Because this one isn't likely.

The gist of my comments was about the impact of your proposed specification if the technology is widely deployed. My opinion is based on operational experience and not on market theories.

Regards,
-sm