Re: [Fwd: Last Call: draft-hoffman-dac-vbr (Vouch By Reference) to Proposed Standard]

2009-02-06 10:25:17
John Levine wrote:
If some group wanted to build a closed pay-to-play mail system, they
could do it with the tools they already have, using SMTP AUTH or
STARTTLS with a private signing cert or VPNs or whatever.  The reason
they don't is that it makes no sense, and a tiny tweak like VBR isn't
going to change that.

I didn't imply that any of the big 4 wants their users to pay for an email account. However, they are defining a mail system, which is possibly slightly different from the IETF definition, and flags spam abatement as a major advantage. Very roughly, that system is around one half of the total existing mailboxes[1]. That is to say, any one of the big 4 can expand its share better by acquiring users from minor MTAs than from direct competitors. This is not the same as a full blown cartel, but it tends to relegate minor MTAs to 2nd class.

The other thing I don't understand is why you minimize the expected VBR effect. (If that's meant as an apotropaic stance, I have no objection. Otherwise,) I wonder why we shouldn't push VBR as hard as we can, if it can stop spam.

Finally, I'd remark that, IMHO, such considerations are exactly what the IETF is for: not inventing mere rocket techniques, but do internet technology in its broadest meaning, including any economic, social, or political facet that may be relevant for the task.

--
[1]
Microsoft webmail properties: 256.2 million users

Internet users: 1,018,057,389 (2005)
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/xx.html#Comm