RE: how to contact the IETF

2009-02-10 11:10:54
I agree there is no way to know "a priori" about the intentions of a person
who sends an e-mail to an IETF list.

That being said, I do think it would be good to invest in methods that
increase the probability that people who post might actually participate
over a longer time (vs. just "driving-by").  Hence, I find myself thinking
kindly towards suggestions that perhaps we should require people to
subscribe to the lists they wish to send messages to.

Regards,

Ed Juskevicius

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Andrew Sullivan
Sent: February 10, 2009 11:03 AM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: how to contact the IETF

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:19:57AM -0500, Melinda Shore wrote:

Well, no, I don't agree with that last bit, in the
sense that I don't think "replied on the mailing list"
really means the same thing as "participated."

I think we're in agreement.  All I'm suggesting is that there's no _a
priori_ way of knowing whether someone is participating, except by
looking at the lists.  Therefore, we can't dismiss postings from
people we don't know on the grounds we don't know them.  This means
that those "driving by" have to be tolerated, I think.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com
Shinkuro, Inc.