Re: how to contact the IETF

2009-02-10 13:07:24

In fairness, the posts resulting from the FSF, uh, call to action, of this issue have been polite and tried to make a point. Some of them may be more or less informed about the facts at hand but they have been on topic and do express an opinion. I'm sure we can all think of examples of far less useful conversations that have happened on ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org .

The IETF has standardized some of the protocols that became the relevant and widely used protocols. I believe one of the things that keeps the IETF's work relevant is that it is not just "profession standards people" but also actually involves people that write code and build products. If some programmer who is not deeply involvement with standards or the IETF is implementing something and wants to come and make some one time "drive by" comment to the IETF, well, theses can be valuable insight. These might be in a slightly different category but I think we should pay attention to people that are implementing or using a protocol even if they aren't long term IETF people. At the other end of the spectrum, we have had case on an IETF list where a single person with multiple "sock puppet" email accounts was trying to assert undue influence and we had many cases where people that knew nothing about the topic just said "me too". It is impossible to come up with any algorithm that separates these - it requires good judgment of the chairs and others that need to call consensus. I don't envy the poor AD that gets to sort out the relevancy of these comments.

Cullen <in my individual contributor role>

PS. I have been sort of surprised that no one has asked all these people if they plan to implement or use this draft. I was under the impression that the community of interest in the draft was very small. If there is more widespread interest, it generally helps up the chances of the IESG approving a draft.