Re: IETF and open source license compatibility (Was: Re: yet another comment on draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07.txt)

2009-02-12 08:03:35
On Thursday 12 February 2009 14:39:53 ext Jari Arkko, you wrote:
I support experiments in this space, though. And it would be really good
to get more of the open source folk participate in IETF specification
work. There are many important open source extensions and protocols that
fit in IETF's scope but were never documented. Even if source code is
freely available, you could have several implementations, commercial vs.
open source interoperability issues, etc.

I was an open-source developper before, becoming a Nokia employee and
sponsored IETF attendee (and I remain one). I was in a software field where
IETF has high relevance (e.g. Teredo and RTSP). But there was no way in the
world I could have afforded the travel, accomodation and attendance costs.

Oh, I was one relevant working group mailing lists. But from my experience, I
was not at all taken seriously, until I started showing up at the meetings. In
other words, remote participation does _not_ really work, in this venue, and
on-site participation is often not possible.

Also, open-source is heavily dependent on running code (as are some
standardization venues such as XSF). IETF is not, or not anymore, although I
guess this varies from WG to WG. And IETF is very slow compared to the open-
source community.

All in all, I am not surprising that the IETF process is not so popular with
open-source projects, and I am doubtful we can "fix" that without more
disruptive changes that current IETFers and their sponsors, would be willing
to accept.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
Maemo Software, Nokia Devices R&D